Get That Bug!

Project Name: Get That Bug!

Group members: James M, Kayla, Hensien F

Goal: Build a database of Beetles, Moths and Assassins Bugs.

Task: Submit sightings of Beetles, Moths and Assassin bugs to our Epicollect database. Our project is under ASM_bugs.

Location: Anywhere.

Required materials:  A tablet or smartphone with Epicollect downloaded into it, Our project is under ASM_bugs.

We are using the following materials to collect the targeted bugs:

  • Yellow Bowls
  • Water
  • Brown Sugar
  • Overly Ripe Bananas
  • Liquid Dish Soap
  • Thermometer
  • Jars
  • Butter Knife
  • Labeling Stickers
  • Vials
  • Bug I.D Field Guides

Project Summary: Our project is focused on the identification of different species of beetles, moths, and assassin bugs. Have you seen an Insect lately? Report it to GTB on Epicollect using ASM_bugs — a public database documenting Beetle, Moth, and Assassin bug sightings. We are especially interested in Assassin Bugs and the Luna moth. We use Epicollect which is a generic data collection tool that allows you to collect and submit geotagged data forms along with photos to a central project website (hosted using Googles AppEngine) from suitable mobile phones such as Android or iPhone.

We want to know how many beetles, moths, and assassin bugs reside in our surroundings so we decided to go around the museum and set traps and look for them. We would love if others would participate and help us out with identifying and locating Beetle, Moth, and Assassin bug. You could participate by downloading Epicollect on your smartphone no matter if it’s an android or an Iphone, from there you could download our project (ASM_bugs) and help us build our database.

Background: This is the webpage that helped us learn our capturing methods to get our specimens. It told us about mixing brown sugar, banana, and beer (we had to use water because beer couldn’t be provided).

Some materials we used were:

  • 6 Yellow Bowls
  • 6 Yellow cups
  • String
  • Bananas
  • Brown Sugar
  • Tap Water
  • Dish Soap
  • Several Jars

Methods: What we did was put two bowls in several locations and had one baited with the pasty brown sugar, banana, and tap water mixed together and spread it across the rim of the bowl and put both bowls, baited and unbaited, under a plant, most preferably milkweed or cuplant. We put them in the prairie around the museum and numerous places around north pond.

Preliminary Findings:

These charts show the diversity of invertebrates found in each trap.


New questions, future research, and possible changes to procedure:

During our 4 days outside setting traps we decide to experiment with cups instead of bowls we left the cups out for one day but results showed the cups are not as reliable for trapping bugs like the bowls were.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s